The quality of your dinnerware says a lot about your foodservice operation. Cleanliness is paramount, of course, but customers also expect plates, glasses, and cups to have no scratches or chips as part of good-quality service. Dinnerware is subject to wear and tear, but if you follow a few simple rules, your dinnerware will always be in perfect condition. And your customers will take notice.
Let's take a look at what the Homer Laughlin China Company recommends as best practices for taking care of your ware.
Rules for each step
In foodservice operations, dinnerware constantly moves in circles from storage to the table, then to the washing station, and then back to storage. Each step has its own set of do’s and don’ts. Let’s look at them in detail:
• Storage. Don’t overload lowerator storage (it defeats the purpose of using one), and avoid stacking heavier items on top of lighter ones. Also, always keep extra dinnerware available. You never know how busy rush hours will be, and the last thing you want is to be running around looking for plates and glasses.
• When cleaning tables. As you put the items in the bus tray, sort them by type and try not to overload the tray, even if it’s a busy shift. Just piling up everything quickly will save you a few seconds but it’s not worth the risk of damaging the dinnerware.
• At the sink. Always use a rubber scraper or water spray to remove food scraps. Never use abrasive pads.
• In the dishwasher. Never mix items on racks. Beware of temperature fluctuations when you take them out at the end of the washing cycle.
Extra care for fancy dinnerware
For dinnerware with ‘over glaze’ decorations and precious metals there are a few extra rules to follow:
• Before using them in a microwave make sure they are microwave safe.
• Always treat decorated dinnerware with metal-safe chemicals. For this reason, avoid washing it at low temperatures. That would require sanitizing them with chlorine, which is not metal-safe.
• On plates with a metal edge, always use plate covers made of fiberglass or plastic instead of metal.
The Homer Laughlin China Chip Replacement Warranty
Properly caring for your Homer Laughlin dinnerware will make it last for many years. However, The Hall China Company offers an extra protection for your investment: a chip replacement program whereby customers can send in chipped plates and receive a replacement of an identical or similar one. The warranty is limited to damage that was not caused by abnormal or abusive use. You can always contact us for details.